Artifacts and Ephemera Collection
The JDC Archives Artifacts and Ephemera Collection contains over 750 works ranging from posters and illuminated records to precious artwork and gifts from Jewish communities around the world. These unique treasures offer a rich historical overview of JDC’s relief activities over the past century in 90 countries.
Given the visual and dynamic nature of these objects, the collection helps to enrich and complement the JDC Archives’ photograph and text holdings. Bureaucratic correspondence and reports come alive when partnered with this wide range of mixed-media objects that reflect the social fabric of global communities and the humanitarian response to monumental historical events.
The collection’s works span from 1917 to the present and include:
- Works of art, from framed paintings and lithographs to prints and handicrafts
- Religious and ceremonial objects
- Plaques and medals
- Albums and scrapbooks
- Newspaper clippings
- Correspondence and personal documents
- Posters and advertisements
- Architectural and cartographic materials
- Institutional ephemera ranging from promotional items to publications
- Staff mementos